In biology, we are seeing a new topic, Diarrhoea and Cholera. As an introduction, we had to see this VIDEO and answer some questions. Here is my work!
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera.
Diarrhoea, vomiting, weakness, dehydration
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village.
Through the water in the river, women carried water from the river to their houses where it was used to drink and cook, flies spread it on their feet,
3) What is diarrhoea?
Is the loss of watery faeces and minerals. It happens when not enough water is absorbed from the faeces. Diarrhoea is the second largest cause of death of young children in the world.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea?
- Cholera bacteria are ingested and multiply
- The bacteria attach to the wall of the alimentary canal
- The bacteria releases a toxin
- The toxin causes Chloride ions to be released
- The release of ions causes water to move into the lumen by osmosis
- There is now a lot of water in the canal (watery diarrhoea). The blood contains too little chloride ions and water.
5) How did the boy treated his father?
First, he made the water safe by filetering it and then boiling it. Then, he mixed half a tea-spoon of salt and sixty spoons of sugar in one liter of clean water (he gave his father the salts he had lost)
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease.
Putting chlorine drops on water and waiting half an hour, always wash their hands with water soap and safe water before eating and after going to the bathroom, to wash their hands before cooking, protect the food from flies.
7) Name the bacterium that causes cholera